Preventative Cleaning for Children in Indianapolis and Fishers, IN
Early childhood tooth decay is the most common health problem children suffer from, with reports showing that the condition is five times more common than asthma and four times more common than childhood obesity. In fact, reports have shown that almost a quarter of children have undiagnosed and untreated dental cavities, causing them daily discomfort that they have a difficult time describing.
Children’s Dental Center helps families set the stage for a life-long commitment to oral health in a friendly and approachable manner. Our team provides a pleasant visit to the dental office, promoting trust and confidence in young patients that lasts a lifetime. Call 317-932-7134 today to make an appointment with Children’s Dental Center. Our office is located at 9885 E. 116th Street, Suite 100, Fishers, IN 46037.
In addition to being painful for your child, a simple cavity can go on to become a full-fledged oral infection or abscess, potentially affecting your child’s overall health, which is why preventive care is so essential. Routine preventive cleanings performed by Children’s Dental Center can help your child to stay healthy and happy. Here is more information about what your child should expect during preventive dental care cleanings, and how you can prepare them for the visit.
How to Prepare Your Child for a Preventive Cleaning
One of the best ways to prepare your child for a preventive dental cleaning is by being positive about the appointment. Never refer to dental appointments as something your child “has to” do, but instead explain that it is just a routine part of overall healthcare.
Try to highlight the fun parts of visiting Children’s Dental Center, such as visiting fun dental hygienists, talking to the dentist, or enjoying a family tradition after the appointment. Many parents make dental appointments fun by taking their child to pick out a new toothbrush or an inexpensive toy after their routine appointment. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that your child understands that you will be there to support them, but that they have nothing to fear when they come in for their cleaning.
Contact Us Today
We are always ready to help protect your child's teeth!
The mission at Children's Dental Center is to build a dental home valuing prevention, early detection, and treatment of dental disease in children.
What to Expect with Preventive Dental Cleaning?
- Discussion and Physical Exam- Before your child’s cleaning begins, you will be asked to update their medical history. You will also have the chance to talk with your child’s dental hygienist about any areas that have been bothering your child. Next, the hygienist will carefully examine the entire mouth to look for issues. A small mirror is used to check the condition of the teeth, gums, palate, and oral tissues.
- Plaque and Tartar Removal- The hygienist uses a tool called a scaler to remove plaque and tartar from the surfaces of the teeth and from the areas near the gum line. Dental hygienists at Children’s Dental Center are incredibly gentle and will do everything in their power to keep your child calm and comfortable during this part of the exam.
- Toothpaste Polishing- Along with plaque and tartar removal, the teeth are polished by using a high-powered toothbrush and a gritty toothpaste. Although this part of the exam is noisy, it just feels like an in-depth tooth brushing. During this stage, soft plaque or tartar are removed, and the teeth are polished to a nice shine.
- Flossing and Rinsing- The teeth will be flossed carefully by the dental hygienist. After the teeth have all been flossed, your child will be asked to swish their mouth with water to rinse away the paste.
- Inspection by our Dentist- The dentist examines the teeth at each cleaning visit and will also examine any X-rays that were taken. If your child needs additional dental work, we will schedule the appointment and explain what to expect.
- Fluoride Treatment- To keep your child’s dental enamel strong and healthy, the preventive cleaning appointment concludes with a fluoride treatment. Fluoride strengthens the molecular bonds within the dental enamel, helping to ward off dental decay. We provide Fluoride that allows your child to eat and drink right away as not to interfere with meal times.
- Dental Sealants- If you really would like to help protect your child’s teeth, consider asking us about dental sealants, which is a protective coating that is painted directly onto your child’s teeth. Sealants are incredibly effective at preventing dental decay for up to ten years if cared for properly.
Make an Appointment for Your Child Today!
The mission at Children's Dental Center is to build a dental home valuing prevention, early detection, and treatment of dental disease in children. Our goal is to provide a pleasant visit to the dental office promoting the establishment of trust and confidence in children that lasts a lifetime. Our vision is to serve as the premier provider of patient focused dental care for infants, children and teens through compassion, skill, and teamwork. Call 317-932-7134 today to make an appointment with Children’s Dental Center. Our office is located at 9885 E. 116th Street, Suite 100, Fishers, IN 46037. Let us keep your child healthy together. For more information on preventive dental cleanings for your child, make an appointment with Children’s Dental Center. With years of experience and a staff that genuinely cares about your child’s comfort and happiness, your child’s next appointment will be simple, enjoyable, and effective.